Bespoke 1 to 1 Landscape or Close-up Day Workshops
Workshops are based on your requirements. We could meet in a café to cover some theory questions first or meet at a mutually agreed location for some photography.
Locations should be within a 90min drive of Crieff (my base) which includes Loch Tay, Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Rannoch Moor, Dunkeld, Queen’s View etc.
Perthshire offers many well-known and lesser known locations for landscape photography.
Here is a list of landscape specific topics we could cover, to give you some ideas.
- Mastering Manual mode
- Depth of Field
- Use of graduated filters
- Long Exposure Photography: creative use of neutral density filters
- Working with a tripod
Close-up workshops are equally based on your requirements.
Close-up subjects can be found almost anywhere, in a garden, meadow, forest or by the coast and we don’t need to drive far.
Once again, we can cover some theoretical questions first if you want or meet at a mutually agreed location straight away.
A macro lens or a macro function on your camera would be helpful for this workshop, but you can also do close-up work without it.
Close-up photography does present its own challenges.
These are some of the close-up topics :
- Assessment and best use of available light
- Depth of field
- The importance of backgrounds
- manual focussing
Full Day Workshop (8 hours): £180
Half Day Workshop (4 hours): £100
- Date, Location and start & end times by mutual agreement.
- A review session of the images taken on the day and some guidance for post processing either after lunch or at the end can be included if you want.
I will have my laptop with me.
- Vouchers valid for one year.
- Workshops can be run in English or German
- Meals and drinks are not included in the price and participants bring their own packed lunch, unless otherwise arranged.
- For drives longer than 20 miles (one way) I will add a small milage charge and will let you know the cost prior to the course.
In these difficult times, we have to ensure everybody’s safety and I will comply with the COVID-19 restrictions in place at the time of your workshop – which might mean that we have to postpone it.
I have extended the validity of workshop vouchers to 18 months and will review that if necessary.
However, current restrictions allowing, these are some of the measures we can take to run 1to1 workshops in a socially distanced manner.
- Separate travel to and from the locations.
- Wearing of masks and hand sanitising where necessary.
- Review sessions can be done on Zoom in the evening or soon thereafter.
Day workshops for small groups of between 3-5 people are also available. Please get in touch with your requirements and to discuss a price.
No. It doesn’t matter whether you have got a compact or an expensive DSLR, especially if you are more concerned about composition. It really depends what you want to get out of the workshop. Undoubtedly you have more options with a system camera that easily allows for manual settings and the use of filters.
I have a spare tripod and potentially other equipment you can borrow for the duration of the workshop. Simply get in touch if you have any questions.
The workshop is totally bespoke and based on the level you are at. I am also very happy to explain the basics. All you need to bring is enthusiasm.
We have a beautiful self-catering flat in our house, in case you would like to combine your workshop with a longer stay in Perthshire.
If you are just looking for one night, there are many B&Bs in Crieff. Let me know if you need help.
Crieff and Perthshire offer a great variety of locations from pastural to barren.
Here are just a few examples for your inspiration:
- various Standing Stones around Crieff
- mature deciduous forests beside Crieff, Comrie & Dunkeld
- Bluebell carpets in May
- many waterfalls
- local beauty spot, the Hermitage, with its impressive waterfall and woodland setting
- Loch Monzievaird, a small, local loch beside Crieff
- Loch Earn, piers and mountain setting.
If you would like to meet a bit further afield, we can easily reach Glencoe, Aberfeldy, the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park and various other locations.
Please note that I will charge a small amount to cover my transport costs for trips of more than 20 miles (one way). This should be discussed prior to our workshop.
The workshop was relaxed and fun with plenty of opportunities for great photos. "